FDB Couple

Faith Driven Consumers Represent a Unique Marketplace Perspective

American Insights Survey Data Show That Faith Driven Consumers Put Their Finances Where Their Faith Is

A key goal for any brand is analyzing customer behavior—what motivates consumers in their purchasing decisions. Equally important, what steers them away from a purchase. American Insights offers a rich well of survey data to draw insights from regarding Faith Driven Consumers, a growing but largely untapped niche market that represents 17% of the U.S. adult population—more than 41 million people—who spend $2 trillion annually. Our in-depth national survey gives brands a valuable snapshot of those who identify as “faith driven” in their purchasing decisions.

A key motivating force in the lives of Faith Driven Consumers is the idea of whole-life stewardship. As Christians, they believe that God is not only entitled to 10 percent of their income—the biblical one-tenth, or tithe—but that God also cares about how well they steward the other 90 percent. This includes discretionary spending on consumer brands. In a nutshell: every choice matters.

Consider these relevant findings from the survey:

  • Personal faith and purchasing decisions: An astounding 94% of Faith Driven Consumers say their faith has a major influence (8-10 on a 10-point scale) on their day-to-day consumer choices, such as where they shop and what they buy. That’s compared to 40% of Christians overall. Nearly half of Faith Driven Consumers—49 percent—rate their faith’s influence on buying decisions as a 10-out-of-10, compared to 13% of Christians overall.
  • Faithful life: 79% of Faith Driven Consumers believe their buying decisions are an important way of living out their faith in daily life, compared to 41% of Christians overall.
  • Position in the marketplace: 73% of Faith Driven Consumers report that they have different consumer needs than the market at large. Only 47% of Christians overall feel the same. 21% of Faith Driven Consumers feel their needs are “totally different” than the overall market, compared to just 7% of Christians.
  • Not welcome: 89% of Faith Driven Consumers would like to see the consumer marketplace do more to acknowledge, welcome and provide for them as Christians. 59% would like to see the marketplace do a lot more. 57% of Faith Driven Consumers feel that the current consumer marketplace doesn’t adequately acknowledge, welcome and provide for them as Christians.

Other research has corroborated these conclusions. A Barna Group survey of U.S. adults from 2011 found that 43% of consumers would be more likely to buy a particular brand if the company was managed by Christian principles. 97% would be either more likely or indifferent. Only 3% indicated that they would be less likely to purchase the brand because of its friendliness to the Christian worldview.